The music presented here is real-time, on-line, and offers various degrees
of interactivity. This is not, for example, a repository of Midi files,
MP3 files, RealAudio files, etc. It's algorithmic/interactive music that
will be realized in the here-and-now, directly in your browser. So your
experience with an interactive piece will be unique.
These pieces use two new Java music tools: JSyn and JMSL
(Java Music Specification Language). JSyn is Phil Burk's realtime music
synthesis package, which delivers CD quality stereo sound through your
browser. JMSL is an experimental music programming language by Nick Didkovsky
and Phil Burk, which is based on HMSL (Hierarchical Music Specification
For JSyn info and plug-in, please visit www.softsynth.com
For JMSL info (no plug-in needed), please visit www.algomusic.com
This work is supported in part by a New York Foundation for the Arts Computer
- The Liminophone A sonification of realtime tidal data. By Rachel Golub and Nick Didkovsky.
- Musical Note Trainer. NEW!!!! Simple drill/practice applet to learn notes on the musical staff.
- Musical Scale Enumerator. NEW!!!! Generates a score of all N notes scales.
- Schubert Impromptu. A statistical resynthesis of Schubert's Impromptu in Eb Major, Op. 90, performed by Evelyne Luest and morphed by you. The very first JMSL program ever, converted to Applet format.
- Music for Hotspots. Listen to your environment (coffeeshop, study room, etc) through sound altering software.
- Birthday Gift for Michael Lytle. Interactive granularizer of bass clarinet & prepared guitar madness.
- A Bright Moon Makes a Little Daytime. Solo guitar piece commissioned by Marco Cappelli.
- Birthday Gift for Larry Polansky. Discover secret text messages by matching the combinatorial pitch contour of a melody to the alphanumerc contour of the message. Fun!
- Ice Cream Time. New composition for sax quartet, electric guitar, and live electronics. With ARTE Sax Quartett, Thomas Dimuzio, and Nick Didkovsky.
- Birds by their Feet, Men by their Tongue. For chamber orchestra w/electric guitar. Commissioned by New Century Players.
- Sabbath Bride. A self-modifying arrangement of Jody Diamond's Sabbath Bride.
- The Online Rhythmicon. A virtual instrument based on Henry Cowell/Leon Theremin's Rhythmicon (1930)
- Zero Waste for Kathleen Supove. Piece for sight reading pianist and realtime transcription software.
- Slim In Beaten Dreamers for Meridian Arts Ensemble (brass quintet + drum set)
- TUBE MOUTH BOW STRING for String Quartet and 4 talkboxes
Hell Cafe, an interactive pulse-based electronica instrument.
Scratch For multiple CD's and live improvised
flute. Composed for Anne La Berge.
What Sheep Herd (Why Don't You Write
Me?) Based on a popular melody.
"A Loop's A Loop's A Loop's A...",
dedicated to the tape loop work of CW Vrtacek.
Yudishthira's Quartet for computer-synthesized
Gamelan. Composed by Barbara Benary.
an interactive sonification of the Mandelbrot Set.
Interactive, more madness.
Visit Nick's band Doctor Nerve.
Visit Punos Music Record Label.